We're the Guelfis... That's pronounced Well-Fee! So, Guelcome to our blog! Get ready to laugh and smile with us as we share some fun stories from our blessed life!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bruschetta!! (Guelfi Style)

We love bruschetta at our house! It is super easy to make, and if you throw some grilled chicken or shrimp with it, you've got a delicious, healthy meal. My husband requested bruschetta for our Fourth of July festivities (he's part Italian- LOL), and since I found some BEAUTIFUL Roma tomatoes at the grocery store, it was the perfect time to make it!

Ingredients

-8-10 Roma tomatoes (washed)
-1/2 red onion
-fresh basil leaves
-minced garlic
-olive oil
-salt and pepper
-fresh loaf of bread (I like to use French bread from the bakery)





*****(Sorry I forgot to put the bread in the pic! Fail! I also didn't take step-by-step pics... Never claimed to be a food blogger! Just wanted to share a favorite family recipe.)*****

How to make it:

Start with the tomatoes. I usually remove the seeds/watery part of each tomato, and then dice the rest. (You don't want it to be too watery.) Toss diced tomatoes into a large bowl. Dice the onion into itty-bitty pieces. I normally only use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the onion when I make it, but you could add more if you want a stronger onion flavor. Add diced onion to the tomatoes in the bowl. Roll up the basil leaves and chop into tiny pieces (a little basil goes a LONG way. I normally use 5-6 leaves, but again, you could add more). Add basil to the tomatoes and onion. Next, add a spoonful of minced garlic, and stir everything together. (You could also use fresh garlic of course, but AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT!) After the veggies are mixed well, add olive oil. I would estimate about 1/4 cup, but you may need more or less depending how you like it. Finally, add salt and pepper to taste. After the tomato mixture is done, I usually cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge while I toast the bread. Slice the bread into thin slices (about 1/4 inch) and toast on a cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes at 375. You can toast longer if you like a crunchier bread. Serve toasted bread on a platter with the bruschetta on the side.


 
 
And that, my friends, is how we spent Fourth of July at our Panamanian/Italian/American household!Not very traditional fare for Independence Day, but it was delizioso!








No comments:

Post a Comment